CHARCOAL FOR THE BROKEN FINGERS (Birmingham, UK)

People often say God helps those who help themselves. But I say, God helps those who cannot help themselves. I am a firm believer that it is impossible to succeed in our life’s calling if we constantly focus only on what we can or cannot do ourselves. Challenges become insurmountable when lose sight of the power of the Master who called and equipped us for His divine task. We are buffeted by life’s constant vicissitudes – sometimes rather unexpectedly! But God also sends unexpected help just right in time.

Feeling beaten and battered, worn out from jet lag, stressed out and sleepy, I wasn’t very confident I could start speaking the evening of the very day I arrived in Birmingham in the United Kingdom. Though completely stressed with extreme sleep deprivation, I had a new sense of power and wellbeing like never before the very moment I stepped on the platform. I was then reminded that:

"And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong” 
(2 Cor. 12:9,10)

And especially for those in the frontline doing the Master’s task, we should always remind ourselves that it is He who supplies ‘strength for today and a bright hope for tomorrow’.

And so when I thought I was too weak and tired, little did I know the Lord was going to do His own work.

The seconding day’s program was great. Attendance was higher as news of the message spread wider. The response to the call was impressive. Sadly, an incident which occurred after the second night nearly marred the entire event. My first three fingers were grabbed and smashed between a door and the doorpost while having a chat with an elder and holding a doorpost when a little boy shut the door.

The pain was sharp and excruciating. I felt my heart was literally being torn away. My chest pounded. I sure was at the breaking point of my life. Every word spoken, even a simple “Sorry” sent a painful shiver down my spine! The shock sent every nerve in my system quaking. Even the running water from the tap felt as though my arm was being chopped off. The nails of my three fingers suddenly darkened and bloodied. And the fingers got heavily swollen.

Amidst the cacophony of suggestions, Elder Noah Naylor asked me to dip the affected fingers into a small cup of water mixed with charcoal powder. Instantaneously I felt the pain was being gently soothed away. Within 2 hours, I could almost move the fingers with very little difficulty. Charcoal? Who would’ve thought?

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence.
(1 Cor. 27 - 29)

I returned Friday night more poised for His business that before. The response was great. Many surrendered their lives to God with several others getting ready for the next baptism. Ophelia, a mother of three testified, “My life has changed! I will never be the same”. With a very big hug, Mr. Afram exclaimed, “God bless you for allowing yourself to be used by God in spite of the unfortunate accident!”

Well, there is no promise that our lives would ALWAYS be rosy just because we are working for the Lord. In fact we get the opposite:

“Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life 
(Rev. 2: 10)

But the Lord sure promises us that:

"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you”. 
(Deuteronomy 31:6

And this promise is sure! Don’t you dare to give up amidst the pains. There’s nothing too big and nothing too small for the Lord to do for you! He can be unassuming and even sometimes expected too!

No comments:

Post a Comment